A simple gravy recipe for the beginner cook or the seasoned chef. Blue Jean Chef Meredith Laurence gives a short lesson on how to make homemade gravy. Full gravy recipe below:
For more of The Basics, click here:
Follow Blue Jean Chef on Facebook:
Basic Gravy Recipe
Makes 2 Cups
2 tablespoon butter
2 tablespoon flour
1 to 2 cups stock (chicken, beef or mushroom), room temperature
Salt & freshly ground black pepper
Other optional seasonings (soy sauce, herbs, cream)
1. Preheat a 2-quart saucepan on medium heat.
2. Add butter and melt. Add flour and whisk butter and flour together. Cook, stirring regularly for 2 minutes.
3. Add 1 cup of the stock, whisking constantly.
4. Bring the mixture to a boil and thicken the sauce. Set it aside until you are ready to serve your meal.
5. If you are roasting meat to go with the gravy and you have finished roasting the meat, pour the drippings from the roast into a fat separator. Let the fat rise to the surface and pour the flavorful juice at the bottom of the separator into the gravy, stopping before the fat reaches the pour spout. This will dilute the gravy to the right consistency and add the flavor from the roast to your gravy. If you want the gravy a little looser, add the remainder of your stock.
6. If you are not roasting a chicken, turkey, or cut of beef to go with the gravy, simply add the remaining stock to the gravy to dilute it to the desired consistency.
7.Season to taste with salt, pepper, and/or soy sauce.